When the weather turns cold, my weekday lunches are all about soup, soup and even more soup! So much nutrition in one little bowl, and it helps that Mr B loves it too. He has just learnt to dunk his bread in the soup - very cute, but very messy!
This amazing recipe is from the lovely Amy at Coconut Health & Healing and is super easy, yummy and packaged with so much goodness. Serve up with some warm crusty bread (lashings of butter optional) and it is a lunch made in heaven.
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger
- 1kg of carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/3 cups plain yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
What to do:
- Combine the coconut oil and onion in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, 10 minutes, until just starting to caramelize.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes, being careful not to burn the mixture. Stir in the carrots, sweet potato, and the chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots and sweet potato are very tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan over high heat, lightly toast the pine nuts. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender until very smooth (or puree in a regular blender in batches). Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and serve with a dollop of the yogurt mixture and some pine nuts.
Thanks for the amazing recipe Amy! Don't forget that we have our giveaway on right now thanks to Coconut Health & Healing, pop over here to enter.
What is your favourite Winter soup?